Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is that all you want, more direct taxes? And would you like chips with that?

One of the things that I like to do on a dull day at work is scan the news. Google News is incredibly useful for someone who is a news junkie like I. Today, was a hectic day at work though. But I did indulge in some post-lunch browsing. Gotta get my fix.

One of the things that caught my eye was the Fin-Min proposing to tax the perks on the salaried class. Seriously, Mr. Mukherjee? I, along with millions of other usually honest, mostly hard-working people who might be eligible for any sort of official perks in this country pay 34% or more direct taxes already. Yet, we get little or nothing as direct and tangible benefits for parting with our money. And you have the gall to ask for more! You're lucky I don't have a soup ladle.

And tell me, Mr. Mukherjee, you being a minister in the government, and all. Surely, you must be having one of them official cars. And a lovely house. And servants, peons and the like. Will you consider that as 'perks' and levy this same tax on it as well? Or will you exempt yourself and your brethren and tax only the people who actually create value in this country?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments. I welcome all comments and will publish them unless they are in plain bad taste.